If you are confused about how to solve your relationship disputes, consider taking a DNA test. DNA testing is a scientific way of confirming if the two participants are genetically related. The test normally gives a 100% accurate outcome that will clear any doubts or legal reasons. In such scenarios, the two most popular testing options are the legal and at-home paternity test options.
Legal paternity testing is the best when the outcome is specifically for court or legal purposes. The participants need to fill in their names and contact details in an application form. On the other hand, an at-home paternity test is a test that you can conduct secretly in the comfort of your home. Here, you can book a testing kit via the internet or call directly for delivery. No proof of identity is required for the test participants, only the signatures to show their consent.
Here is the explanation to understand the difference between legal and at-home paternity testing.
Legal paternity test
- Legal paternity tests must be administered by an accredited or certified laboratory listed on the Ministry of Justice website. Ensure the company you choose for the legal DNA testing has met all the AABB accreditation requirements. These tests are court-admissible and can be used in child custody, immigration, inheritance rights, and child support, among others.
- The DNA collections for the legal paternity test require one to contact the lab directly to order the test or acquire it via the internet. The support team of the DNA specialists makes arrangements for the test participants at an authorized DNA collection facility within their region. The DNA sample collector has to be present to verify the participants’ identities that witness the testing and complete the DNA paperwork until the samples are shipped to the lab.
- The legal paternity test is a bit more expensive; it needs the DNA collector services charged at an extra cost per participant.
- There are extra application forms and paperwork involved in the legal testing. Participants will have to take photo IDs and valid identification documents.
Home paternity test
- One is at liberty to choose any company to undertake the test. Perfect results for the test will require one to go to an ISO accredited laboratory. The court does not need to verify if the DNA tests submitted are for people appearing on the list.
- The collection process for the home DNA paternity testing is a bit simple. You will pick up the collection kit at a nearby retailer or purchase it online. Upon receiving the kits, you swab inside the participant’s cheeks and then mail the samples to the lab. Then wait for the results to be posted. Find out more info on accurate at-home test kits available online.
- The pricing for home paternity testing excludes the collection fee; otherwise, all the other DNA rates remain the same with the legal testing.
- At-home testing, you will document the test for peace of mind consent form. The form gives the laboratory the authority to test the samples. Endorsing the form will mean that the test participants approve the testing. Find out more info
Even if you are not planning to go to court, if such a change happens in the future, it’s worth incurring additional charges to get a legal DNA test. Irrespective of the test chosen, ensure you have picked an accredited laboratory that guarantees accurate results.